Shabby Miss Jenn

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Brooke!

Our sweet little girl had her 6th Birthday party today. (Her actual birthday is on Monday, but she celebrated with friends today). The lead up to her party had her SO excited all week, and her first words every morning would be "Only 3 (or whatever) sleeps now till my party ay Mum!" She wanted to get in on the planning of it too, and helped me make and fill the goodie bags for her friends. This morning she helped set the table, fill the food bowls, sugar the rims of the glasses, and get other little bits and pieces ready for the party. I found out online how to fold the paper napkins into a double fan so they looked kind of like crowns or tiaras, and a pink feather boa down the centre of the table with some lush pink blooms helped give it a really girly touch.

I'm relieved to say the cupcake tower turned out. I couldn't for the life of me get the chocolate to melt though (for painting onto the upside down wafer cone towers), so I just iced them with the same icing as on the cupcakes. Yay for Betty Crocker's frosting in a can! The girls were all very impressed with the end result, and I must admit feeling pretty chuffed myself :)



We didn't plan any organised activities for the girls except pin the tail on the donkey. I found out about a princess version of this game, where you put bright red lipstick on the girls, blindfold them, spin them around, then get them to kiss a picture of a prince. Closest kiss wins. How fun is that! Of course I only found this out at about 11pm last night, and do you think I could find a suitable picture of a prince? Nope. So we went with the traditional donkey game instead. The rest of the time the girls played on the tramp, swings & slide, the bouncy castle and with the bubble machine (these last two hired from the toy library). Brooke got some great presents and had a ball of a time.

After the party she got to have her friend Kelsey stay the night, so they happily entertained each other for the rest of the afternoon, while I scrapped a double pager about her day.


11 comments:

mum said...

What a great party and everything looks fabulous. How lucky Brooke is to have such a clever mum!
I think the cones look particularly great as you can see the lines on cones through the frosting.

Petria said...

Love it love it love. Cant wait til Grace is old enough for all that stuff!! Won t have to strain my imagination though, I will just file all your ideas for recycling.

amymom24 said...

Wow, Jacinda!!! That cake is quite the work of art! Very, very well done! Love that you scrapped about it already:) Very cute pages!

Holly in Japan said...

Oh my goodness. You must have been so busy. What a fun party, LOVE that tower of cupcakes. LOVE your double page layout too. She will remember her happy day forever.

Shannon said...

Wow, the cake is beautiful! I would have loved this when I was a kid...actually think I would still love it now ;-)

Janferay said...

Emerson says "WOW" she just loved the pictures and wished she was there. Sometimes the simpler the party/cake etc... the better the occasion!

gabs said...

OMG this is just super WOOOOW!!!! happy belated birthday to your little one!

Linda - www.yamstamps.com said...

I'm not sure what I'm more impressed by - the fantastic cupcakes, the photos or the fact that you scrapped the event pretty much on the day of!!! LOL Fantastic. Hope you rested on your laurels for a bit :)

Unknown said...

WOW! the cupcake tower looks fabulous! And your pages are awesome.

Yvette said...

What a fun party! I do miss the opportunity to do the pink fluffy girly stuff. We'll give Brooke a call after school to say happy birthday. Well done on the double page - very nice.

Elise said...

Jacinda!! Holy cow, girl! I came over here to tell you how much I loooooooove your layouts (I didn't want the compliment to get lost in the threads! LOL!) and now I'm totally blown away by your awesome cupcake skills. Wow, wow, wow!! What a lucky girl your little Brooke is! :)